May 21, 2009
Looks Like a Giant Lure Float to Me

Are they called lure floats? It's been so long I've forgotten. Those red-and-white spheres you stick on the end of your fishing line to hold up... bah, nevermind. Anyway A NASA-designed probe is being used to plumb the depths of Antarctica's mysterious Lake Bonnie, an ice-capped body of water in that continent's McMurdo Dry Valleys region. The hope is the lessons learned will help the design of a future Europa probe. Considering this particular analog weighs in at half a ton, it'll probably be awhile before the (presumably) aquatic critters of that moon have to worry about robot probes sent from nosy apes.

Posted by scott at May 21, 2009 01:09 PM

eMail this entry!


Posted by: Ron ap Rhys on May 21, 2009 02:08 PM

We always called them "floats", though certain Yankees (see above) do call them "bobbers"...

Posted by: mark on May 21, 2009 08:28 PM

I'm about as Southern as you can get without entering Florida territory, and I've never heard them called anything but "bobbers." They're used more to detect when fish are taking an interest in your bait than controlling the depth the bait's suspended at, really.

Posted by: Tatterdemalian on May 21, 2009 09:28 PM

We called them corks.

Posted by: Jeff on May 22, 2009 07:24 AM
Post a comment

Email Address:



Remember info?