February 04, 2005
Baryon Blazes

Slashdot linked up this article summarizing new development in dark matter research. By using the Chandra X-ray telescope, scientists have found what would appear to be "the rest" of the matter in the universe. Made up of giant superheated intergalactic clouds of baryons (a kind of atom), it's thought their very existence provides even more evidence that dark matter exists.

Posted by scott at February 04, 2005 08:43 AM

eMail this entry!

Oooooo, the ignorance is astounding......

All matter in the universe is baryonic, and the observed gas clouds only account for another percentage of the total. Only about 10% of baryonic matter is luminous, and these clouds do not account for the other 90%. Much of which is also wrapped up in dark bodies, such as old burnt-out stars, planets, cold gas, and other such ilk.

Posted by: John on February 5, 2005 03:06 AM
Post a comment

Email Address:



Remember info?