February 04, 2004
Cat Feces Fumes Poison Vet

From Yahoo.com

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - A vet sent to inspect a strong stench coming from an uninhabited rural cottage in south-west Sweden collapsed, poisoned by fumes from the feces of some 20 cats locked inside for months, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

The regional daily Goteborgs-Posten said the vet spent three days in hospital with hydrogen sulphide poisoning.

Rescue workers equipped with gas masks had to be called to the scene to bring out the cats, which were taken to an animal shelter, the newspaper said.

Posted by Ellen at February 04, 2004 07:22 PM

eMail this entry!

We just had our mother removed from her home where we found she had been sick for a while talkign to her on phone we did not know how bad it was until we found out she had passed out and went to hospital. When we went to her home we saw it had animal (cat and dog) feces all over the entire house about 12+ inches deep and on everything our mother is now living with me but not in good health we tried to explain to physicians at hospital but I believe they thought we were over reacting. I was wondering how I could find out if something could be wrong with her from living in that filth for so long. What did they decide for this doctor and how long was he present in the house?
Thank you for your assistance

Posted by: Carla on February 9, 2004 01:22 PM

I have no clue on the follow up on the story. You may want to contact the origional editor the the article for a follow up.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: Ellen on February 9, 2004 08:19 PM

Well, I'm no medical expert, but the doctor in the article suffered an acute case of hydrogen sulfide poisoning, whereas your mother probably suffered from chronic problems brought on by living in such filth that culminated in loss of consciousness (much like the cats in the Stockholm case, who were acclimated to the conditions that overcame the vet, but were no doubt quite unhealthy all the same).

So I don't think the two situations are similar enough that it can be assumed to have a common cause. There are many diseases and toxins associated with animal droppings, most of which can also cause sudden loss of consciousness after either short- or long-term exposure. Figuring out exactly which problem your mother has is necessary before it can be treated; as unlikely as it may seem, it may be caused by something unrelated to the condition of her house, in which case treatments for various manure-born diseases would not only be pointless, but possibly even hazardous.

It's frustrating, but ultimately better in the long run, to wait for the physicians to finish testing your mother before settling on a plan of action. If she is suffering from hydrogen sulfide poisoning, there is no real cure; removal from the conditions and supportive measures to keep her alive until she recovers is the only real treatment. If it isn't hydrogen sulfide poisoning, then something more may need to be done, but the proper treatment can't be determined until the cause is found.

Posted by: Tatterdemalian on February 11, 2004 08:50 AM

hi there,
we are looking at buying a teardown house, potentially keeping the outside structure. The house apparently was overtaken by cat feces and many cats. The woman who lived there has been removed. Does anyone know the implications, healthwise, of such a place?

Posted by: caroline on April 4, 2004 06:03 PM
Post a comment

Email Address:



Remember info?